Eating Paleo doesn’t mean missing out on the sweeter things in life, as with everything there needs to be a balance to maintain a healthy lifestyle. Today we have a visitor submitted recipe for Paleo Rum Balls (though we’ve left the rum out in our example) which I think everyone will love.
The best part of this recipe is the versatility; feel free to experiment with different types of nuts and different ratios of ingredients (although we think this recipe has a great balance). Instead of serving as balls you can compress the mixture in the base of a spring form tin to use as a base of a paleo cake or dessert. If you’re not a fan of dates swap these out for dried apricots or other dried fruits. If your sweet tooth really needs to be satisfied add some pieces of dark chocolate – the options are almost endless.
To transform this recipe in to the aforementioned Rum Balls just substitute some of the coconut milk for Jamaican rum.
Now, before the recipe – and I don’t want to overstate things – but this is the best Paleo Rum Ball recipe that I’ve seen. I urge everyone to give it a try for their next batch of sweets or treats.
|Paleo Rum Balls|
- 1 Cup of Almonds
- 1 Cup of Pitted Dates
- ½ Cup of Shredded Coconut
- ½ Cup of Desiccated Coconut
- ½ Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp of Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- Place the Coconut Milk in the fridge to let the thick part settle at the top.
- Combine the almonds, dates, shredded coconut and cocoa powder in a food processor and blend until the nuts have broken up into small pieces and the ingredients are well mixed.
- Continuing to blend, add the thick portion of the coconut milk and combine with the mixture.
- Add enough coconut milk to make the mixture sticky. You may need to move the mixture to a bowl and finish combining by hand.
- Spread the desiccated coconut onto a plate, roll the mixture into evenly sized balls and coat the outside in desiccated coconut. (I use a ½ or full tablespoon per ball)
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight before serving.